The Staff Counsel is responsible for assisting in implementing corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. This role will be responsible for drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide range of contracts The Staff Counsel assists with providing senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, assists the Legal, Compliance, and Human Resources functions, and provide legal and professional support related to the Company’s business lines.
Reports to: General Counsel, EVP of Compliance & HR
- Support the General Consel in the Legal Department through legal research and substantive work, as assigned, and work as part of a team with other members of the department and various corporate service areas.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Assists with ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assist with organizational compliance with federal and state employment laws.
- Provide counsel to business associates regarding the implementation of new products, services, and the entrance into new industry verticals.
- Review, draft and negotiate numerous complex contracts, including service agreements, nondisclosure agreements, statements of work and ancillary legal documents.
- Developing, reviewing, and approving template forms for all units
- Negotiate, write and execute agreements on behalf of the company (i.e. master services agreements, statements of work, purchase orders, license agreements, reseller agreements, NDAs, data processing agreements, etc.)
- Review and negotiate RFPs and ensure timely completion
- Advise on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different deals
- Interact with and advise executives within the company, as well as work alongside and offer counsel on a variety of legal issues to various departments within the company
- Research and anticipate unique legal issues that could impact the company
- Advise on a wide range of complex IP related matters
- Assist with review and maintenance of current legal documents in place
- Research and help to develop strategies to avoid litigation and reduce potential areas of risk
- Assist with creating compliance programs (including in the areas of data privacy and international compliance)
- Assist with global expansion and provide counsel to international affiliates
- Assist with items of due diligence, including any mergers and acquisitions
- Complete other duties, tasks and activities as they arise.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA-accredited law school, 1-5 years’ experience minimum.
- Must be admitted to a recognized bar
- Internship experience required for new attorneys
- Experience working in-house
- Experience in negotiating contracts
- Experience with employment law related issues a plus
- Stay current on recent legal developments that might impact the operations.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations affecting the digital media, performance marketing, and lead generation landscape
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with cross-functional teams and high level executives and board members
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with a keen attention to detail and within a demanding environment
- The ability to identify significant legal exposures for the company while maintaining a practical approach to protecting against them.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A high degree of confidentiality.
Also a Plus:
- Knowledgeable in industries of technology/digital media/performance marketing/ cybersecurity a plus
- Experience with compliance and data privacy a plus
- Experience with negotiation a plus
Candidates will be considered in totality of their skills and experience versus strict interpretation of “requirements.”
What we offer:
- Very competitive pay package based on experience
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- 401k with match
- Flexible work schedules
- Free Lunch once a week
- Frequent social and community events
- Annual retreat in Clearwater Beach, FL, USA and events built around teambuilding