Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer / Audit Committee
Location: Remote, USA
The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for preparing, implementing and carrying out a risk-based audit plan to assess, report on, and make suggestions for improving the company's key operational and finance activities and internal controls. Additionally, the position is responsible for identifying and assisting in documenting existing internal finance and disclosure controls, implementing and documenting new internal controls, and establishing an internal monitoring function to audit the company’s compliance with such internal controls. We are looking for an objective Director of Internal audit to add value and improve our operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and a sound judgement.
- Lead the Company’s Internal Audit function by implementing action plans related to risk assessment and annual planning, audit execution, audit reporting, human resource processes and workflows, audit technology, and Audit Committee reporting.
- Lead Internal Audit’s annual risk assessment and enterprise risk assessment and planning process to develop the internal audit plan and ensure the plan is responsive to and aligned with the risk profile of the organization.
- Undertake individual audits defined in the internal audit plan.
- Issue all Internal Audit reports, ensuring that the reports are clear, concise, identify root causes with practical solutions, and ultimately provide value to management and the Audit Committee.
- Meet regularly with the Audit Committee to report the status of Internal Audit’s ongoing monitoring activities, educate/inform the committee of emerging risks and/or exposures (whether internal or external to the company) that should be considered, and serve as a “thought leader” with respect to risk management and internal control best practices.
- Proactively inform senior management of significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Update/develop process documentation to support management’s SOX assessment;
- Lead scoping efforts for management’s SOX assessment and create report on final assessment of internal control over financial reporting for the fiscal year-end for management’s review;
- Perform internal controls assessments of acquired companies or joint venture companies and lead efforts to mitigate identified control deficiencies.
- Manage the process to track, follow-up, and ultimately close all open audit issues leveraging the Audit Committee, if necessary.
- Engage in discussions with management to ensure that Internal Audit is well-informed of key business developments that could have an impact on audit priorities and/or plans.
- Ensure that Internal Audit is performing its work in accordance with established professional standards and remain abreast of emerging trends and best practices that can be incorporated into the function.
- Participate in critical business and technology initiatives and projects ensuring that the audit's perspective is effectively voiced and appropriate controls are designed and implemented on a proactive basis.
- Coordinate with the external auditors, including how best to leverage the work performed and results produced from Internal Audit’s work.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards
- Knowledge of Accounting and Finance Principles and Practices
- Knowledge of a variety of reporting procedures, regulations and law
- Planning and time-management
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to encounter and navigate difficult conversations.
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Tenacity and Ethics
- Technology Proficient (G-Suite, excel, word, Visio, ability to learn new software)
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting & Finance or other closely related field.
- Certified Internal Audit (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- 8 or more years’ experience in auditing or accounting; 3 years in a Management role.